While many homeowners like to hire plumbing contractors for customized plumbing solutions, sometimes it’s good to know a few plumbing tips and tricks to make minor repairs yourself.
You never know when you’re going to come across an urgent plumbing problem like a clogged sink, a broken pipe, or a leaky faucet.
If you’re looking for some expert tips and tricks for DIY plumbing problems, you’re at the right place. Read on to learn all about DIY plumbing.
What Kind of Plumbing Tasks Can You Take Care of Yourself?
There is a range of plumbing tasks that you can do yourself without the help of a professional residential plumber. All it will need is a few basic and inexpensive plumbing tools to help you take care of a clogged drain, a toilet issue, or a leak under the sink.
Here are a few common plumbing problems you can handle on your own:
- Replace a toilet: It might seem difficult, but it’s very easy to replace a toilet. All you need to do is remove the old one, add a new wax ring, and set the new toilet in its place. Once the bolts are tightened, you can hook the water supply, and it’s done!
- Insulate pipes: Pipe insulation is very important to keep the water warm in the supply pipes. You can always wrap up your pipes with inexpensive foam pipe insulation.
- Replace a shower head: This little plumbing problem can be entirely done by hand. Just turn the old showerhead clockwise and replace it with the new one.
Here are a few other plumbing repairs you can handle yourself:
- Install a faucet aerator
- Fix a broken pipe
- Replace or install a garbage disposer
- Install a dishwasher
- Fix shower water pressure
- Caulk a tub
How to Avoid Plumbing Emergencies
One of the simplest ways to avoid a plumbing emergency is to be extra careful of what you’re putting down the drain. Another thing to remember is to ensure that you address all minor plumbing issues before they become something major.
Maintain your plumbing systems by checking the pipes and the water heater, and look for any mineral deposits and discolorations.
When Should You Hire a Plumber?
It’s not easy making all the plumbing repairs yourself. Many homeowners make plumbing errors like overtightening the pipes or applying the wrong pipe glue.
Keep in mind that some plumbing issues should be left to the experts. If you feel like a plumbing issue isn’t easy to manage yourself, call a plumber.
It takes time and experience to become an expert at finding plumbing solutions. It’s okay to call in the experts when you feel uncomfortable dealing with a major plumbing issue.
Are you looking for plumbing experts in Spokane?
Check out Action Craft Experts today. We have a team of knowledgeable and experienced plumbing contractors who can take care of all of your plumbing needs.
Get in touch today to learn more.